Opening ceremony of the restored St Cecilia's Hall

Date: 
Friday, June 28, 1968
Time: 
3 pm
Season/No: 
1968

Ceremony at the opening of the restored Saint Cecilia's Hall and of the Russell Collection of Early Keyboard Instruments.

Participant(s): 

Peter Williams - harpsichord
Gustav Leonhardt - harpsichord

The Edinburgh Quartet
 Miles Baster - violin
 Austin Patterson - violin
 Philip Clark - viola
 David Edwards - violoncello
Marie Dare - double bass

Work(s) / Composer(s) / Opus No(s): 

Programme

Concerto for organ in B flat, opus 4, no. 2 ... G.F. Handel
  A tempo ordinario-Allegro
  Adagio-Allegro ma non presto

..........................

The Principal of the University, Professor Michael Swann, FRS
The Right Honourable the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, KT, CBE
Mrs Gilbert Russell

..........................

Pieces de clavecin, from Troisieme Livre, 1758 ... J. Duphly
  La Forqueray (rondeau)
  Chaconne
  Menuets
played on a harpsichord of 1769 built by Pascal Taskin of Paris

..........................

Professor Sidney Newman, CBE

.........................
  

Performance Type:

Programme Notes: 

No programme notes.
No indication is given of the instrument from the Russell Collection used by Peter Williams but in the review of the concert the following day in which he played the same Handel organ concerto the chamber organ affixed to the platform is mentioned.

Ticket and/or Programme Price(s): 
private inaugural concert
Publicity and Reviews: 

Review by Conrad Wilson in the Scotsman [n.d.], 'Restored hall returns to its original function'.

Notes: 

St Cecilia's Hall, built in 1762 by Robert Mylne for the
Musical Society of Edinburgh, has been restored as a concert hall and
extended by Ian G. Lindsay and partners for the University to establish a
Department of Early Keyboard Instruments in Faculty of Music
and for the exhibition of the Raymond Russell Collection
presented in 1964 by Mrs Gilbert Russell.